To clear an absence or late arrival
Dial (925) 410-4444 and select 1 for attendance, or directly dial (925) 410-4465 for the attendance line.
This is a 24-hour machine, so calls can be made any time of the day or night. Every absence or tardy of any kind must be cleared by a parent or legal guardian within 24 hours or absences are considered “cuts” and are subject to disciplinary action.
Students must be in their assigned classroom when the bell rings to begin each period. If a student arrives within the first 10 minutes of the school day, for reasons other than medical, s/he should go directly to class and receive a tardy. If a student arrives after the first 10 minutes of the day, s/he MUST COME to the attendance office for an admit slip.
Call the attendance line by the morning of the absence. Be prepared to give your child’s:
- Student ID number
- Date of the absence
- Reason for the absence
- Your relationship to the student
If your child is late to school in the morning, please call the attendance line before your child arrives, providing your child’s:
- Student ID number
- Date of late arrival
- Reason for late arrival
- Your relationship to the student
OR ... you may send a signed note with your child explaining why he or she is arriving late. Have your child check in at the Attendance Office window upon arrival to get a pass to class.
Parents must come to the office to sign the student out of class.
Messages for Students During the School Day
Our school has a policy of not interrupting classes during instruction time. Therefore, we are unable to deliver messages and forgotten items to your child during school hours.
If your child has forgotten items at home, you may bring them to the Attendance Office with the student's name and student ID number clearly marked. It is up to your child to pick up any items left for them in the office, so tell your kids to always check the Attendance Office between classes, at lunch or after school for any items you may have delivered.
If you know ahead of time that your student will be missing 1-4 days of school due to one of the following reasons, please complete a Pre-Approved Absence form.
- Appearance in court
- Attendance at a funeral service for a non-immediate family member
- Observation of a holiday or ceremony of his/her religion
- Attendance at religious retreats of no more than four hours per semester
- Family necessity
Download the form here or pick up the form at the Attendance Office. Completed forms are turned in to the Attendance Office before the first day of the absence and, if approved by an administrator, the student will receive an excused absence for the days absent and will not count towards truancy reports.
Independent Study for Extended Absences
1. Parents/Guardians notify school administration at least 10 school days prior to the absence . School Administrators have the final decision to approve or not approve a request for a student to leave school on an Independent Study contract.
2. Per California Education Code, Independent Study Contracts are only issued to students who will be absent for a minimum of 5 school days. The maximum number of school days the contract will be approved for cannot exceed 10 school days. After 11 school days, due to our impacted schools, PUSD cannot guarantee your child will return to the same classroom or the same school.
3. If an emergency situation occurs while the student is on an approved Independent Study contract, please understand that we are unable to approve an extension to the existing contract. All efforts to notify the school, submit and return the work to the teachers should be made in accordance with the existing contract. The additional days of absence will be marked according to our District attendance policy. School and classroom placement will be discussed upon return to PUSD.
4. Students must turn in work on, or before, the agreed contract date. If the student is on an Independent Study Contract that occurs during the end of a grading period, the student needs to submit the assignments to the teachers 3 days before the end of the grading period . Students may receive an incomplete on their report card or a lower grade in the class, if the assigned course work is not completed or returned on time.
5. A student with disabilities, as defined in Ed Code 56026, is not eligible for an Independent Study Contract unless his/her Individualized Education Program (IEP) specifically provides for such participation (Ed Code 51745). Please discuss this with your child’s case manager.
6. Students whose achievement level is below grade level standards may not be eligible or approved for an Independent Study contract.
7. Students who have had an Independent Study Contract in the past and did not successfully complete the work or terms of the contract are not eligible for a new contract during the same school year.
8. Students are only eligible for one Independent Study contract per school year.
Beginning of Each School Year Independent Study contracts are not issued during the first twenty (20) school days of the year, as this is a critical time for teachers and students. If a student anticipates being absent for the first day or week of school, the school administrator should be informed prior to the first day of school. If you do not inform the school administrator of your child’s anticipated absence, school staff will likely assume that you have moved and will drop your student from enrollment within PUSD.
Please understand, in order to guarantee a space for your child at your school of residence, your child must return to school prior to or no later than Monday of the second week of school . Also understand, if your child is absent, our truancy letter notification and follow up procedures will apply and may initiate the Student Attendance Review Team (SART) and/or Student Attendance Review Board (SARB) process.
End of Each School Year: There are no Independent Study agreements issued the last twenty (20) school days of the year. PUSD will not approve Independent Study requests during the last 20 school days of the school year. Existing policies related to assignments and grading will be upheld for excused and unexcused absences if taken during the final 20 days of the school year. If your child is absent the last twenty days, due to our impacted schools, we cannot guarantee your child will return to the same school the following school year.
Please email Tara Carino at [email protected] to request the contract for Independent Study.
If your student is absent and would like to get homework for the days missed, you may either contact a friend or access their teacher’s website.
If you have questions, you may e-mail your teacher by using the first initial of the first name, the full last name and then @pleasantonusd.net. (For example, Jill Butler would be [email protected]
If the teacher is going to leave any items for your student, they can be picked up in the Attendance Office. If you want to leave completed work for your student’s teacher, it can be dropped off at the attendance window.
Attendance Line -- (925) 410-4465
One helpful hint is to put the phone number for the Attendance Office on your cell phone. If you are running late, you can always make a quick call to excuse your student.